The Best Way to Sell Your iPhone
As each new iPhone from Apple is revealed to the public, people across the world start to think seriously about trading in for the latest upgrade – while others see the prices dropping for older devices and immediately begin to reach for our wallets. With the release of the new iPhone 15, Plus, Pro and Pro Max, many of us will be thinking that it’s about time to bid adieu to whatever old iPhone we’re currently using and jump aboard the new-phone train.
When to Sell your iPhone
Every year, iPhone trade-in prices begin to drop just before the launch of a new model, and continue dropping slowly over the next few months. In the UK, as with many countries, there’s a spike of interest in google searches for “sell my iPhone” in the same week that a new model is launched – and this drives down trade-in prices even further.
These prices will almost never rise again after they’ve dropped – so the rule is, sell your old phone sooner to make sure you get a good price for your phone.
The Best Places to Sell Your iPhone
So, where should you turn when it’s time to part ways with your beloved device? Let’s delve into some top choices.
1. Sell to an Independent Reseller (The Big Phone Store!)
Of course we’d put ourselves at number one – but hear us out! As the UK’s fastest-growing mobile phone reseller, The Big Phone Store is a top choice. Renowned for our dedication to quality and a trustworthy reputation, The Big Phone Store was born out of a large independent electronics refurbisher that’s been operating since 1999 – making us one of the longest-running mobile phone resellers in the UK. By the time the first iPhone was released, this phone store had already been in business for the best part of a decade.
Competetive Prices: With extensive experience in the field, TBPS guarantee competitive rates based on the real-time market value of your phone. We check our competitor’s prices so that you don’t have to, making sure we’re always providing the best price for your iPhone model.
Eco-friendly Phone Recycling: Our commitment to the environment is reflected in every element of our trade-in process – from giving phones a second home wherever possible, to using eco-friendly packaging and shipping. We’ll even provide a prepaid shipping label if you’d rather use your own packaging, making the trade-in process much faster!
Versatile Trade-in Options: Whether you opt for their seamless online system or visit our in-person store in Wolverhampton, the process is hassle-free.
Money For Your Broken iPhone: As well as offering money for an iPhone that simply won’t turn on, we accept cracked and even water-damaged iPhones.
Thorough evaluation: While The Big Phone Store offers instant price estimates through our website, and same-day evaluation when your phone arrives with us, your device must fully match the description you give when you begin the trade-in process, or you may be offered a lower price than you were initially quoted.
Slower Process for Broken iPhones: If your iPhone is broken when you trade in, there’s no way for us to give you an accurate quote until it arrives at our facility in Wolverhampton. This means that the price we give is only an estimate, and we will confirm the final value based on how easy the device is to repair or recycle.
Other independent resellers and refurbishers are available.
2. Selling direct: eBay, Gumtree, and Facebook Marketplace
If you’re tech-savvy enough, and already have a good customer rating on your ebay account or similar, you’ll get the most money if you sell your phone directly. These globally-recognised platforms provide you the chance to do just that – take control over the sale process – just so long as you also take the risks associated with that.
- Price Control: Set your own price, or auction your device to the highest bidder. This is the way to make the most money possible when you sell your iPhone, because you’re selling directly to the buyer for cold, hard cash
- Broad Audience: Your listing can be seen by millions, increasing chances of a sale (although there’s also more competition).
- Transparent Feedback System: Check the reliability of buyers through ratings and reviews.
- Fees: Be prepared to part with a percentage of your sale in listing and transaction fees, as well as potentially being liable for having to pay for return shipping if the condition of your old phone is disputed.
- Variable Prices: Whilst selling directly can lead to getting top dollar for your iPhone, there are other users on these marketplaces who could be undercutting you. Getting the best price for your phone can take a certain amount of effort on your part.
- Potential Scams: These websites are a very popular target for scammers, because members of the public are more likely to fall victim to a scam than a larger business. Always follow platform guidelines to avoid fraudulent buyers.
3. Apple Store / Apple Trade-In
Apple offers their own trade-in program, which might feel like the natural choice for brand loyalists. You might feel that by going direct to Apple themselves, you’ll be offered the highest price possible for your old iPhone. However, Apple does not simply re-sell these devices back to the consumer, meaning that they won’t pay you the true trade-in value of your old iPhone. Instead, old iPhones are either stripped and recycled into a ‘Certified Refurbished’ Apple product (which uses recycled internal components but replaces the battery and outer shell), or they’re sold on to a third-party reseller. In either case, your device isn’t worth as much to Apple as it is to an independent reseller, and so the prices offered are usually lower than you’ll find elsewhere.
- Consistency: The process is uniform and transparent.
- Instant Credit: You can get Apple Store credit towards your new iPhone purchase when trading in
- Fixed Pricing: Apple provides a non-negotiable quote which might not always be the highest.
- Eligibility: Not all devices are eligible for trade-in, especially significantly older iPhone models.
4. Mobile Phone Carriers
Today, most mobile phone carriers offer money off your next phone contract when you trade in your old device. However, in 2023 many people are realising that being locked into a 12 or 24 month contract isn’t usually the best way to pay for a new iPhone. Some carriers offer store credit, but again, this locks you into staying with them rather than giving you the ability to make your own decision on where to buy your new device.
- Streamlined Process: As existing customers, the process can often be quicker and integrated into your account.
- Bill Credits: Trade-in amounts can sometimes directly offset your monthly bills.
- Loyalty Benefits: Some carriers offer additional incentives or bonuses for loyal customers.
- Locked Rates: Carriers often provide fixed rates that might not be the highest in the market.
- Contractual Obligations: Some trade-ins might come with strings attached, like extended contracts.
5. Online Marketplaces
BackMarket and Mozillion are two phone trade-in services that act as a third-party, connecting you with recyclers, refurbishers and resellers. As third party sites, these are usually not the highest-paying option, but for trade-in services they can be very reliable.
- Hassle-Free Process: You don’t have to shop around for the best deal, because the marketplace does that for you.
- Instant Quotes: Quick valuation based on the provided device description.
- Third Party: While they offer quick services, their buying prices are often below market average.
- Device Evaluation: The final quote can vary after physical examination of the device.
What to do when selling your iPhone with The Big Phone Store
Ready to send off your device? Here’s a handy step by step guide.
1. Confirm your Price
Grab an instant quote for your old iPhone by entering your details. On The Big Phone Store’s site, find the page for the model of phone you want to trade in, then select your phone’s condition and storage size to get an instant quote!
2. Remove SIM card
Your SIM card is your direct connection to your phone number. You’ll need to remove it from your phone before trading it in – for security reasons as well as convenience. When you get your new phone, you’ll probably be able to continue to use the same SIM card, unless you want to change your network provider.
3. Unpair Apple Watch
If you have an Apple Watch, you’ll need to unpair it from your old iPhone before you can sync it with the new one. In your iPhone’s Watch app, go to the “My Watch” tab, then tap “All Watches”. Tap through to the settings for each paired device, then tap “Unpair Apple Watch.
4. Sign out of icloud
This is an important step that allows your phone to be refurbished and resold, by letting Apple know that you no longer wish for this iPhone to be associated with your account. This also turns off Activation Lock, which prevents a new user from logging into the iPhone once it has been refurbished. You can do this from your iPhone’s Settings app, (Tap ‘Settings’, iCloud’, then tap ‘Sign Out’) or by signing into Find My iPhone on your computer. You’ll need to enter your Apple ID Password before signing out of iCloud
5. Reset to Factory Settings
Whilst any reseller will reset your phone themselves, for peace of mind, it’s best to perform your own factory reset to prevent your personal data from falling into the hands of the new owner. Be aware, though, that simply deleting your data doesn’t always mean that it’s gone forever – that’s why here at The Big Phone Store we offer a professional data wipe service – for free – with every iPhone trade-in.
6. Pack it Securely
You must package the device in a rigid box, with plenty of padding so that it will not rattle around inside during shipping. You can then take the package, together with the QR code that we’ve provided, to your local Post Office. Alternatively, we can send you a pre-paid postage pack to securely ship your iPhone directly to us.
Where to buy your New iPhone
Buy your new iPhone at The Big Phone Store! Whether you’re looking for the latest and greatest technology with the iPhone 15, or get the most for your money with a refubished older phone model like the iPhone 14 Pro Max, you’re sure to find an incredible deal with us!
Deciding where to sell your iPhone hinges on your priorities: profit, convenience, or reliability. Analyze the detailed advantages and considerations of each avenue, and opt for the one that aligns with your objectives. Whatever your choice, ensure your old iPhone finds a deserving new home or purpose.